Introduction to online material from The Howard & Moore Complete Checklist of Birds of the World
Thank you for visiting the 2013/2014 4th edition of the Howard and Moore Complete Checklist of Birds of the World. Here as Open Access material we are placing the entire list content (incorporating changes issued in the Corrigenda and Errata lists for the two volumes). The list is displayed almost exactly in the format of pages in the two published volumes: pages 1–385 of volume 1 and pages 1–629 of volume 2. It is possible to scroll all the way through, but we cannot display page numbers. So here we provide you with options to help you locate data you wish to find.
- From here you can access the title page of volume 1 and its verso.
- From here you can access the title page of volume 2 and its verso.
- From here you can access the full list of families and from there jump to the family of your choice
- We cannot yet offer a full index of scientific names or of English names to search. But we plan to make these available. Meanwhile here is a search choice menu allowing you to reach your objective:
- Search for a genus name
- Search for a particular species name (enter the binomen); reach its subspecies this way!
- Search for all species having a species epithet (e.g. olivaceus) that recurs in other genera/families (be aware you may need to search again for the alternative gender version of such a name e.g. olivacea or olivaceum)
- Search for a particular subspecies epithet (e.g. ruficapilla) to get all uses of that and choose whichever interests you (be aware you may need to search again for the alternative gender version of such a name)
- Search for an English name of a species (search will include alternate names)
- Search for an author’s name yielding the taxa he or she named (alone or with others)
- Search all footnotes for any name of a taxon or of an author.
N.B. Some of these search functions have yet to be fully tested so please e-mail email@example.com to report any problems and help us complete the testing.
Once within the database try using Control-F to reach another location without coming back here to use the searches possible from here.
Much of the rest of the book (the introductory material and the appendices, including those included in the CDs that accompanied the volumes) will be made available to subscribers to this website in the course of the next year.
The database which displays the checklist pages here has been created by Rufus Dickinson, who drew upon and slightly expanded the structure designed, jointly by Edward Dickinson (field requirements and page layout) and Denis Lepage (technical tools), as the editorial database for the creation of the published 4th edition. Technical help, mainly to provide compatibility with the website, was kindly provided by K.J. Duursma of Worldwide Webdesign.